TIME IS A PHYSICIAN’S MOST VALUABLE AND FINITE RESOURCE.
SCRIBES ARE AN AFFORDABLE HIGH IMPACT SOLUTION FOR PHYSICIANS.
Leave work on time.
Thorough and complete documentation.
Reclaim your work/life balance.
MedScribe strives to provide excellent customer support, exceptional training and implementation leading to sustainable scribe programs in emergency departments and specialist clinics. We provide the road map for your recruitment and interview process, and then provide all the necessary training to deliver highly qualified and professional scribing staff. We focus on excellent training with comprehensive coverage of medical documentation skills but also confidentiality policies and professional standards. We aspire to assist you in development of a self sustaining scribe program that delivers exceptional results for both physicians and patients.
Scribes are individuals specially trained in medical documentation who assist a physician
throughout their shift.
The primary goal of a medical scribe is to increase the efficiency and productivity of the physician for whom they are working.
SCRIBE DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Act as a doctor’s personal assistant. They are present during medical consultations and are trained to document clinical patient encounters as they occur;
- Record procedures, treatment plans, discharge instructions and write referrals;
- Fax imaging requests, chase pathology reports and contact other physicians.
Typically, Scribes document and manage the following Information:
- Physician exam
- Assessment & plan
- Procedures and treatments performed
- Discharge plans
- Past medical history
- Prior medical records
- Diagnostic results
- Consultant feedback/documentation
- Phone calls
The changing healthcare environment has placed extraordinary pressure on physicians
to operate more efficiently.
There is growing patient demand, with fewer physician resources. Scribes work best with doctors who want to reclaim time in their day, enjoy their work and streamline processes. They can see that scribes are a sensible and financially disciplined improvement for their medical practice.
Reasons our clients use scribes:
- Wasted clinical time due to documenting and data entry.
- Increasing numbers of patients to see in the same amount of time.
- Longer hours, reduced time for family and social life.
- Poor/incomplete documentation.
- New electronic health records slowing efficiency.
- Lost revenue due to missed/incomplete billing.
- Growing number of non-reimbursable tasks.
- Burn out. Common among doctors, and recent data suggests it is the burden of documentation that is the biggest headache.
- Physician groups who use scribes are those that understand that by improving the efficiency of their current doctors, they can avoid having to increase staffing numbers. This allows for increased patient capacity without increased costs of bringing on another doctor.
Scribe programs have been demonstrated to deliver dramatic improvements in emergency department performance.
- Shortened length of stay
- Increased compliance and reimbursement
- Improved physician productivity
- Higher patient satisfaction
- Enhanced physician quality of life
- More efficient consultations, more patients seen each day
- Shortening of waiting lists
How much does a scribe earn?
Scribes are typically paid as per the Level 1 or 2 Health care Support Service award wage, depending on their previous experience and credentials.
How do we get a program started?
Medscribe can assist you as Consultants to provide a roadmap for recruitment and implementation. Once you have selected your recruits, we will train the scribes and your doctors to ensure a successful implementation and ongoing working relationship to maximise ROI. If you would like to know more, complete the form and we will be in touch.
What do other doctors think? Quotes….
This is about an individual physician interacting with an individual patient, getting a history and physical, coming up with a differential diagnosis. This can be a complex process and at the same time we are dealing with a human interaction in which caring, trust and confidence need to be conveyed. This is about two humans, not about computers. Scribes allow me to focus on my patient, not the screen.”
“Scribes are a radical improvement, I feel like a Doctor again”
“First time in 8 years I’ve felt regularly “on top of it”. It is nice having control of your life again. I’m usually done with everything at the end of the day, and if not, I can finish the next day… This is unheard of for me. I love it.”
“My hours of painful documentation day after day are over. I’m able to focus on the patient and look at them throughout the interview without having to bury my face in the computer…”
“I think I’m only scratching the surface of how the scribes can help. The more time I spend with the scribes to work on dot phrases, terminology, and patients instructions/after visit summaries, the better it gets. Patients are amazed at the instructions they’ve been getting in the last few weeks.”
If a medical scribe program is financially feasible for your clinic, it could have benefits for both you and your patients. Not only can the use of medical scribes improve the patient experience, but it can also increase physician satisfaction by reducing the amount of time you must dedicate to data entry. Consider using medical scribes for a trial period to see how they can benefit your clinic. Contact us to discuss a site visit and potential trial.
- Physicians need to be early adopters and embrace the slight change in practice required
- Providers must be chosen carefully.
- Providers must have training to ensure they maximise the utility the scribe
- Realistic understanding of training and settling in period
- Cost and revenue need to be balanced for viability
- Potentially high scribe turnover – need to regular recruitment and training
- Dependency of providers on scribe
Our course is a comprehensive self-directed learning package that gives the students knowledge and understanding of the unique and innovative role of a doctor clinical assistant (AKA “Medical Scribe”). Students cover a large amount of interesting content, from medical terminology and abbreviations, to learning the process of writing a standard medical note and use these core skills to complete a comprehensive medical record.
Modules are as follows:
Introduction and Foundations
Medical Chart Structure
Overview of Body systems
Musculoskeletal and Orthopaedics
Respiratory and ENT Systems
Renal and Reproductive Systems
Skin and soft tissues
The Eye, ENT Modules
Medical Documentation and Scope of Practice
The style is a mixed model including:
- Self-paced learning modules
- Interactive audio and visual activities
- Textbook Activities
- Written assignments with model answers
- Case studies
- Real time mock and patient videos for real-time clinical assistant experience
BENEFITS OF SCRIBES INCLUDE:
- Increased accuracy capturing full patient/doctor interaction.
- Prompted and reminded when investigation results are complete – don’t miss any, don’t waste time chasing results.
- Fewer distractions = fewer mistakes.
- Less overtime as notes are completed simultaneously while doctor is at the bedside.
- Less tired at end of shift.
- Better work: life balance.
- More productive: more patients seen per shift.
- More patient contact, more time at the bedside, not behind a computer.
- More medicine, more pathology.
- Patients seen per hour increase.
- Maximize reimbursements b/c capture all billable items.
- Increased direct and indirect revenue.
- Real time charting outsourced data entry.
- More clinical medicine = more interesting work = more learning.
- Doctors work at the top of their license, not doing data entry.
- Complete, thorough notes at end of shift.
- Tighter documentation standards improves compliance and provides better medico legal outcomes.