The skin is the largest organ in the body and has many vital functions. It is part of the integumentary system which also includes hair, nails, sebaceous and sweat glands and has a variety of functions including preventing hydration and infection, regulating core body temperature and allowing a person to sense their environment.
- Identify the function and structure of the integumentary/skin systems
- Know the major layers of skin and soft tissues
- Know historical features of skin issues, risk factors and symptoms
- Describe common disorders of the skin
- Understand common tests, procedures and treatment for skin conditions
- Identify medications commonly prescribed for the treatment of skin conditions including rashes and wounds
- Write complete medical charts for patients presenting with skin conditions and complaints